February 12, 2016

Turtle power! Fueled by pizza, coffee, and toddler kisses. #FridayFeed #amwriting #parenting

Friday Feed . . . Doing things and stuff.

Call me Karen. (writing words)


Words. Wrote 'em. This week has been about my characters being all: I know you have this plotted and whatnot, but we've gotten together and decided to ditch your plan.

To that I say: Coolio. Love when my characters assert their own opinions. The plot itself hasn't changed but certain threads have. YAY twists.

Since this is my first middle grade (MG) novel, I've done quite a bit of research on how it's different from young adult (YA). I also learned that average word count (WC) for a MG is between 20k and 55k words. The sweet spot being about 35k words.

However, for fantasy MG the WC can go as high as 75k. For perspective: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was about 77k words.

Some rules are meant to be broken. Amirite?


Luke, I am your mother. (kiddo corner)


Lukey got his FIRST haircut. So, we attempted to cut it at home. Yeah, well, that went over like a lead balloon. Kinda terrifying holding a pair of sharp scissors next to a spazzing toddler's eyeballs. EEK. Got the bangs/fringes cut, crookedly I might add, and then Hubs and I were all: professional appointment required. The place we went to was really neat (Pigtails and Crewcuts). Very kid-friendly and not as crazy expensive as I thought it'd be. There's a bunch of locations, so take a look if you are in need of this type of establishment. 

Other than that, been a normal, busy week.

Oooh, for Valentine's Day, Hubs and I are going to see Deadpool (sans toddler, of course). WOOT.




Pix for your viewing pleasure . . .









Just keep swimming. (all the randomness)


Took a stroll through Wholefoods on Thursday. Cool store. Well lit, clean aisles, pretty decor, soothing musing, kinda pricey. Like, would make me double my 75$ per week grocery budget to shop there on a regular. So, yeah. Back to purgatory, erm, Walmart...

National Pizza Day (9 February) was this week. Did you have your pie?? You know I did.

BONUS: My local RWA chapter is having our annual conference on 5 March in Williamsburg, VA. So if you can make it, come on out. More info here.

Enjoy my Friday Feed? Here's more to delight you.


****

Selling my firstborn to pay the Wholefoods bill . . . karen

No comments:

Post a Comment