February 9, 2016

How to freeze herbs...and get away with it. #TryItTuesday #allthethings

Try It Tuesday . . . Wherein I review things and stuff.

You can freeze that?

I know, right? Do you buy a GIANT bunch of cilantro, parsley, etc and only need to use PART of it? And then, do you throw away the rest and feel like you've just wasted herbs AND money?

Duude. I just asked all the questions. 

The answer for me is YES. I get so annoyed when I only need a little bit of herbage and have to buy a ton. Plus, it seems to go bad so quickly. Which makes me go, GRRR.

But, fear not, I've found the answer.

I was skeptical at first. Now, I'm all about this freezing herbs thing.




Today's product: Ice Trays* (You remember those, right?)
*more like, what's inside the ice trays rather than the ice trays themselves


Where to find: Pretty much anywhere... I actually bought my ice trays* at Walmart. (Not Amazon, can you believe it?) *herbs sold separately

Average cost: $0.99 to $3.99 (at Walmart)

Lasts: Probably forever?


Karen's rating: 




I've frozen cilantro and parsley (in separate ice trays) and have had great results with both.

A quick How To:
wash herbs
chop them
put the chopped herbs in the ice trays
fill with water (or olive oil, or butter, but I'm cheap, so WATER)
 freeze overnight
pop them out and into labeled freezer bags for later use

****

More How To and additional info for your reading pleasure.

If you'd rather not go to the trouble (I don't find it to be much trouble though), there are actually pre-made frozen herbs you can purchase. The basil one I may try soon, because I find fresh basil to be a bit over-priced.




Freezing herbs has been super helpful for me. Their taste isn't quite as strong as fresh herbs, but I've solved that problem by just adding two herb-cubes instead of one to whatever I'm cooking.
I've also found if I thaw a cube overnight, I can drain/rinse it and use the herbs just as I would the fresh variety. AKA, garnish or salsa or whatnot.


Heard of this? Done it before? What say you?

****

Wanna see more red balloons go by? Thought so. Check out my previous reviews*
*Reviews are my own opinions, I am not paid to promote any items.


****

When life hands you lemons, freeze them . . . karen

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I will have to try this because I have thought the same thing that it is annoying how fast fresh herbs go bad and the waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea is really great! I'll try to do it. We did such ice cubes with cherries and some berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like your berries idea too. I'll have to try that.

      Delete