January 11, 2016

Lie or Lay?? *pulls out hair* Which one IS IT? Grammar. Am I right, yo? #WIP #amwriting

Monday Motivation . . . Writerly things and stuff.

Does grammar ever leave you going...


Yeah, me too.
Your vs You're... The battle continues.



Your/You’re going to win. Your/You're Force is stronger than his.

Pro tip: sound it out with replacement words. If the word 'my' makes sense in the sentence then use 'your.' If it makes more sense to say 'I am' then 'you're' should be used.

So these two sentences would be: You're (I am) going to win. Your (My) Force is stronger than his.

Pronouns. The struggle is real... You and me. vs You and I.


It's getting hot and heavy with you and me.

OR

It's getting hot and heavy with you and I.



Pro tip: Test it out by going solo. (teeheehee) Remove 'you' from the sentence to see which makes sense.

It's getting hot and heavy with me. It's getting hot and heavy with I.

The 'me' wins!

Let's fight... Lie/Lay vs Lay/Laid

Hate this one I do. Ugh.

Lie (past tense lay) is used when there is no object being acted on. I lie down to sleep. Yesterday, I lay down to sleep.



Lay (past tense laid) is used when the subject acts on an object. I lay the book (object) down. Yesterday, I laid the book (object) down.

Pro tip: This handy-dandy chart brought to you by the Grammarist (full post here).

verbpresent tensepast tensepast participlepresent participle
laylaylaidlaidlaying
lielielaylainlying

Now, don't you have some verbs to miss use??


Wanna find more Motivation? Here ya go.

Word Count Goal

****
Eating Junior Mints in a galaxy far, far away . . . karen

1 comment:

  1. The first two are easy. However, that doesn't mean my draft work always gets it right. Turns out I speak in my head and the fingers then root about for the words I spoke. This often results in the ccmpletely wrong word in my draft.

    However, I had the misfortune to be raised in a southern state, so Lay and laid slay me. Lay sounds sooooo wrong, that if one of my characters needs to lay down, I'll find a different verb to use. She falls asleep, she collapses on the bed, She crawls into bed.

    ReplyDelete