September 11, 2013

Midweek Mayhem: Exciting news, random pix, and... LONGING #Snippet14 #DragonsFTW

Working it out…
  • (EXCITING NEWS!!!) My dear friend and amazing editor, Dani Fine, and I have opened an e-publishing house!! The name is Definition House and it's an innovative take on the market. We are mega stoked!! Check us out >>>> Deets!
  • (NEW) Tomorrow on my blog, author spotlight on Black Amaranth by Sasha Hibbs! The cover is gorgeous, and the blurb sounds awesome!!
  • (NEW) Agent hunting?? Yup? Me too :P Get those 140 character Twitter pitches locked and loaded for >>>> #PitMad coming Thursday, 12 September!! Hosted by the fantastic Brenda Drake. 
************
The Becoming Playlist!
Wanted to share some of the songs that inspired me as I wrote Becoming...
Wonderwall by Oasis (acoustic version)



Hearing voices…
Cover art by Danielle Fine
  • Check out my stunning cover inspiration for my dark and gritty new adult urban fantasy with cursed dragon shifters (right beside this paragraph) designed by the talented Danielle Fine!!!
  • Twitter pitch for BecomingAfter a transplant gives Zoe a dragon shifter’s heart, she learns that her online boyfriend is her donor and...a girl.
************
 Today I'm sharing snippet #14 from the Becoming prequel titled Longing (unedited and in Taylor's POV)! Read snippets here: #1#2#3#4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13. Excited for y'all to get to know my dragons better :) 

Longing - Chapter 1 (snippet #14)... 


Bypassing the couple, she walked in through the front door. The air-conditioning must have been set on sub-zero because the inside of the clinic was a frozen wasteland. Light gray walls, white tile floors and only one lone turnstile kiosk in the middle of the room with chew toys and treats. The veterinary staff all wore bright colors and some even had brightly colored rubber shoes. No wonder. They needed some kind of spark in this drab environment.

“May I help you?” A dark-skinned girl with sharp cheek bones and kind eyes asked.

Taylor walked to the counter, ignoring the stares of a man and woman waiting with their Chocolate Lab. She didn’t have a dog, but a quick Google search for an obscure brand of dog food had prepared her for this question. “Yes. Do you carry the Innova brand?”

************

Cover art by Danielle Fine
Waiting game...
  • On week #26 of waiting to hear back from a lovely agent who is reading Running From Shadows.
  • Requests currently out for Becoming are 9 total! Squee!!!  *fingers and toes crossed* 
Reading...
  • (Update) Finished Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King... I enjoyed the story very much, but toward the middle it began to slow a bit. Overall, it didn't quite hold my interest all the way through. I think, for me, it had to do with the head-hopping. I gave it 3 Stars.
  • (Reading) Over the Rainbow by Brian Rowe. Just started it and it's fantastic! The main character, Zippy, is so plucky and how she escapes her father in the opening chapter is awesome! His pitch: The Wizard of Oz meets Jurassic Park.
  • Looking for book recommendations and reviews for your 2013 TBR List? Check out The Perks of Being a Book Nerd

Bonus material... 
*Writers, looking for a talented editor? I highly recommend Danielle FineShe's edited four manuscripts of mine and has taught me so much! I'm a stronger writer because of her guidance. Also, she designed my beautiful inspiration cover art for Becoming and Running From ShadowsAnnnnd she created the book trailer for Witch Way to Turn! 
*For more information on Dani's editing services, cover design, book trailer creation and website design stop by her site!

************
Random Alert! Alert. Alert. Alert...  
Mmm, jealous? You should be! :P Made from scratch brownies with nom nom caramel and vanilla ice cream on Saturday... ZOMG, it was sooo good!

Ate here on Saturday...super cool Dutch-inspired restaurant in downtown Charlotte. I'm sure Taylor (from Becoming) has eaten there because her parents live downtown :P

Took a TON of pix at my alma mater on Saturday! This is where Becoming (my dragon story) takes place. Visited all the places in the book EVEN the hospital where Zoe had her heart surgery. It was sooo awesome to picture my dragons there!

Totally had my SIL take this action shot of me!! So, this is the classroom where Zoe is sitting waiting (impatiently and slightly paranoid) for Taylor to text. I'll be posting all the pix to Pinterest soon!

Whaddya think about my play on words? :P Made this at my BFF's baby shower on Saturday. It was sooo fun!! I'm not a painter by any stretch of the imagination, but the hostess had stencils and markers that were paint...badabing, badaboom!

No comments:

Post a Comment