February 26, 2012

Who? Me?

I’ve been writing my entire life. Okay, fine, since I could actually hold a pencil. (As I’m writing this post, I have the realization that, with the paperless movement, future generations may not know what a pencil is. Hm. Good thing there's Google.) Back to the point. I wrote poems, short stories and the occasional Haiku.

I’d always wanted to write a novel. But, like most people, I never had the time. I kept telling myself…someday. Well, someday finally arrived when I quit a job that was eating away hours of my time each day, the commute was grueling. On a particularly bad day, I sat in traffic for over three hours ONE WAY.

That was enough for me. (Side note: I do not recommend quitting your day-job to become a writer. The road is hard and chock-full of potholes.) I began searching for a new job, finally landing a wonderful one—3 years ago—as a city employee. (Now my commute is only fifteen minutes. Hooray!) In the meantime, I started writing that novel. I had no idea what I was doing, but I wrote. Every. Day. It quickly became an obsession. If I wasn’t staring at the computer screen, well then, I just wasn’t living. I had to write. Yearned to write.

The characters in my head wouldn’t shut up. And let’s face it, I didn’t want them to. I craved the sweet whisper of their ramblings. Some might think this is a bit multiple-personality disorder, but writers know: there’s only a problem if the voices STOP talking. So I wrote like a dark fever had consumed me. When I finished, I had a story. Not exactly a very good one, mind you. But I had the satisfaction of completing what I’d set out to do…write that book. (I am currently writing my fourth complete novel.)

Granted that first story I wrote may never see the light of day. Frankly, I’m okay with that. It was a stepping-stone. A way to unleash the voices in my head. I’ve learned so much since that book, joining writers' groups, beta reading and researching the heck outta the industry. Through these posts I will share my nuggets of wisdom. Glean from them what you will.

If you walk away with only one thing, let it be this: Finish. The. Book.

You can do it! The voices will help. *winks*

Write now is your moment…seize the page!

14 comments:

  1. This was a nice little kick in the seat I needed today before I get sucked into Youtube, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you! Get in there and write! Yes. You. Can. Woot! *high fives*

      Delete
  2. Was that a typo or on purpose the "write now is your moment"? lol
    Love your blog. Very inspirational. I feel a tear coming on.... *drip*
    xD I need to get on and write now.... gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know iHeart a good pun! *winks* Thank you so much! Keep up the great writing, your characters need their story to be told! Woot! *fist bump*

      Delete
  3. I can tell this will be a funny blog! Go for it. (I feel ya about the commute.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The commute had gotten to be a beast! It totally had to be slain.

      Delete
  4. Awesome introduction into the blog world. Love your little turning Earth in the bottom right.

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daryl! LOL Yes, the little spinning Earth is addictive...I have to keep checking it to see where the people are who have looked at my blog!

      Delete
  5. One day, you'll look back on your first manuscript and say WTF was I doing.

    Maggie O'Malley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie! LOL You're right...I've already started doing that! I can only imagine how it will be ten(+) years from now!

      Delete
  6. Thanks Karen for the motivation. I thought I finished the first book and the second but they are back in for rewrites so I'm not sure it ever ends. Still your advice is sound. Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Toni! You finished TWO. That is a wonderful accomplishment! Are you published? Stick with it. Rewriting is just part of the process. I rewrote my book Witch Way to Turn that's coming out this summer THREE times. It started as a 1st person urban fantasy and became a 3rd person young adult! LOL But I'm thrilled with the change...matches my voice better.

      Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm excited to be blogging.

      Delete
  7. Great post! I think it is awesome that you quit a job that was taking too much time from your life. Now you have the time to work and WRITE! Yeah! I have always loved writing and became serious about my writing a few years ago. It is so nice to get my thoughts down on paper! Best of luck to you!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jess! I'm very blessed to have a wonderful job now that is so close to my home! Even though, secretly, I would love to be home writing full-time...but don't we all!? LOLz Thank you for commenting and good luck to you as well!!

      Delete